Saturday, October 24, 2009

What colors do use on your palette?

watercolorist,
What colors do use on your palette?
it really just matters on what I'm planning on painting and if I dont have a plan I just use colors that I feel are right. Most of the time use my feelings to choose what color I should use.
What colors do use on your palette?
There is a difference with what subject I am painting, but there are always some great colors I love use in my pallet. I think with modern painting, earth tones have been subjugated to the more modern colors. I always use earth tones in my paintings like: umber, burnt umber, raw sienna, and green earth, to name just a few. I also adore a color from Williamsburg oils called Turkey umber. It is a dark earth color with a greenish hue. It is wonderful. The other colors that I love that aren't the usual subjects are the transparent colors like the lakes, the beautiful lakes. They are wonderful to glaze with. Lastly the most important color in you pallet is White. In the end, once all the paints are mixed, it works out to at least 65% of the paint used in most paintings. There are many white choices. I like to use Titanium and Unbleached Titanium (a beautiful color) for under paintings, because I am not worried about smudging with my fingers, and lead white for the highlights. White is, although completely taken for granted, the most important color on the pallet. It is this important because mixed along with blacks, complimentary colors, greys, local color (the main color in your subject) and other around darker colors, is what designates value, which in turn, is what creates form in a painting.





I hope this helps


No comments:

Post a Comment