Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Questions for Graphic Designers about printing-- matte background and glossy lamination?

So I have a portfolio due on Monday for my ART155A class. But I have a problem. I can鈥檛 find a place to print out my work in a specific way.





Here鈥檚 a link to my work:





http://www.csupomona.edu/~cgso/ART155A/F...





http://www.csupomona.edu/~cgso/ART155A/F...





I鈥檝e been in high school yearbook for 3 years so I guess I鈥檓 a tad bit ahead of the class. What I want is a matte cover (for the gray background) and everything else (texts, lines, pictures) with glossy lamination. I鈥檓 not sure what the exact term it is and where I can find a place that prints it, cause obviously Kinko鈥檚 and the school鈥檚 print and copy center doesn鈥檛 do it. Does anyone have any advice for me? I鈥檒l appreciate any help. Thanks!
Questions for Graphic Designers about printing-- matte background and glossy lamination?
That printing is called a "veneer."





I can't view the links so I'm not exactly sure what your design is. Since it's due Monday, you probably will not have time to have it printed. What you could do is get a piece of black matte paper. Get some contact paper - shelf liner paper, and draw your design on that. Cut out your design using an exacto blade. Then peel off the contact paper and stick it to the paper. Get some clear spray paint and spray over the top of the design. When it dries, pull off the contact paper, and wah-lah. (Like airbrushing).





OR - You could get a black piece of paper that would fit in the printer. Do the design that you would like in a lighter black, or grey. So, it's light black on black - that may give the same effect, and wouldn't be as time consuming as the airbrushed veneer.





Good luck!
Questions for Graphic Designers about printing-- matte background and glossy lamination?
Talk to someone at a high end commercial printer. The technique you describe may be foil imprinting. You often see it on book covers.





Another technique used is to "print" a layer of glossy varnish on the areas you want glossy. This glossy varnish is laid on top of the already printed color.





Another way to "fake" this effect is for the glossy areas to be "die cut" from the cover and adding a sheet of foil covered stock UNDER the cut out cover page. The glossy sheet will be seen through the die cut areas. Again, I've seen all of these techniques on paperback book covers.

flowers and gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment