Friday, November 6, 2009

Who painted this old oil painting?

I came across this old oil painting and I want to know more about it. I can't make out the signature. You can view the painting and the signature here:





http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunapooka/2...


http://www.flickr.com/photos/lunapooka/2...





Thanks for any help you may be able to give me!
Who painted this old oil painting?
This picture definitely looks Alaskan. Very Inupiat looking. I was visualizing the inspiration of the artist and what the person may have been. Beautiful painting. There is a Stephan's Gallery here in Anchorage and I bet they can tell you more. I am making a copy just out of curiosity because I work near Stephan's Art Gallery where they know Alaskan art. I too am an art collector. This is a real look of spring breakup of winter out here. I am very excited for you.
Who painted this old oil painting?
I doubt if it is Alaska. I suspect Crete's southwest coast.


The style of fishing boat is wrong for Alaska and I have seen sunset paintings like that of Crete.


(It could be South American, or Italian, or...)


The white mountain is a distinctive feature. There should not be many of those near water with white buildings.





I suspect the white daubs on the water represent sails.


The fishing boat shown is a sailing type of boat with its mast dropped.





I have no idea who the painter might have been.





I will look around a bit later and see if anything pops up.
Reply:i love a mystery...and this is a mystery.


that is a fascinating painting.


perhaps you could show it to a local gallery curator or check with the art department of your community college or university. (a high school art teacher would probably have the resourses of information to help you with it too.)


No comments:

Post a Comment