Friday, November 6, 2009

How can I start being a Director of Photography?

I hold a degree in film and video. I have shot events(weddings, baptisms, birthdays,) in HDV and super 8 but I want to work in a feature with a director. Since I have never shot a movie before (only in college) how can I persuade a director to work wtih me?
How can I start being a Director of Photography?
You need to start as a loader, which is second in line to the Director of Photography (DP.) This is the 2nd camera assistant. They are responsible for loading the film and running equipment errands for the 1st camera assistant. Then you will eventually move up to the 1st camera assistant position. At this spot, you'll pull focus, put the lenses on the camera, maintain the equipment, etc. This is the assistant to the DP, and you will never leave their side. While doing this it's important to watch and learn, while working on your own reel and establish network contacts. These contacts will eventually hire you for smaller jobs (commercials, PSA's, music videos, shorts, etc.) Or the DP will move to director and hire you to shoot their film.


No comments:

Post a Comment